Day 5: Sea Day ... or, how we slept the day away

Tuesday, Feb 3, 2015

We failed the early start. Miserably. By the time we get up it's 10:30 and we are slow to get going. Isn't it weird how sometimes more sleep just makes you feel more tired?

Brunch is served in the Washington Dining Room. It looks a lot like the Lincoln we are normally assigned to.

The hostess ask if it's alright if we share a table and not expecting the question I say yes, which would have been fine if we hadn't been seated next to the "stoic Germans,” who wouldn't even acknowledge our existence. Awkward.

The brunch menu is quite elaborate and even lists appetizers! Why, I would've never thought to order an appetizer before breakfast, but if you insist ...

Sandy has an appropriately sized little fruit salad that looks and tastes great, while I end up with a heaping plate of bagel lox -- that's a bagel with smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese. Ooh, the deliciousness!! 

After all that, Sandy gets to work on her stack of silver dollar sized blueberry pancakes, while I am served an over-sized bowl of flavorless bacon mac & cheese. At least it makes for a pretty picture:


Of course, everything must be a three course meal when eating in the dining room (ok, not really – I just made that up as an excuse for my gluttonous behavior) so Sandy orders the eagerly anticipated cheesecake with caramel (no good) and I have them prepare me a scoop of butterscotch ice cream with sea salted caramel sauce that ends up being just marginal.

Unfortunately, we got up so late that I missed not only Scattergories, but also the eagerly anticipated towel animal folding demonstration. Clearly, I will have to go on another cruise some time to remedy this ...

Having a lot of blogging to catch up on we set out for some quiet time on the Serenity deck only to find every single seat is taken. The lido deck is crowded too ... one of the downsides to sea day I suppose.

It's not until we enter the designated smoking area that we find a pair of comfortable chairs in the shade. No one is smoking so it's perfect. Well, it would have been, except the glare coming off of the screen was blinding so I retreated back to the room, leaving Sandy to enjoy the gentle breezes and the endless ocean surrounding us.

I would love to tell you that I got all caught up and made LOTS of progress, but that didn't happen; instead, I struggled my way through a measly paragraph before caving in and going back to bed.

Yep, that's right. I just got up and now I'm snoozing again. But hey, it's sea day, so I can do whatever I want!

Joined by a bunch of smokers not long after I left, Sandy also decides it is time for a nap and when we wake up it's dinner time. Yikes ...

Today is formal night, or as Carnival calls it, 'cruise elegant' night. Living my life alternating between my work uniform, barn clothes and workout gear I get really REALLY excited at the prospect of dressing up. Finally, a chance to wear one of my many dresses!

After we get all dolled up I set off to find the photographer in the atrium and he snaps some shots of us together in various poses. Sandy thinks this is VERY awkward and beats a hasty retreat when it's time for individual pictures, but I'm quite enjoying my turn in the spotlights.

Sandy also took a picture of me in my floor-length ballgown.


The line to get a dinner beeper is even longer today, but the wait itself is again about 20 minutes. Just enough time for us to head upstairs to the Pixels gallery. I can't wait for tomorrow to see how our formal shots came out.

There's a mix up and they accidentally seat us at a table for six, but they immediately realize the problem and after apologizing profusely they ask us to switch tables -- which of course is no problem since we don't want a repeat of this morning. So we end up seated by the window in a quiet spot at the back of the dining room. If you'd let me pick my own seat that's probably what I would've picked so it worked out really well for us!

I start with the spicy alligator fritters; I've only had alligator once and it was in the form of an overly fatty sausage so I'm eager to try it prepared in a different way. Alas, the spicy fritters are more doughy than flavorful, but the accompanying hand cut potato chips are very good. Sandy, ever the pumpkin lover has the Indian Pumpkin soup and really likes it.

One of the ships photographers comes around to snap spontaneous pictures in the dining room and this ends up being one of the few pictures we buy.



Since tonight is formal night they have lobster on the dining room menu and Sandy orders the lobster and jumbo tiger shrimp dinner, while I order a well done flat iron steak. After swapping my boiled potatoes for Sandy's mashed ones everyone is happy.

The warm melting chocolate cake has been on my mind, especially after our table mates sung its praises yesterday and told us one of their friends practically finds it the raison d' cruising. I'm not normally one to enjoy chocolaty deserts but wow that really is lip-smacking, finger-licking stuff -- all warm and gooey with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to balance it out.



Sandy orders the caramelized apples over puff pastry with some kind of vanilla sauce and finds it OK. Of course, I also tried a bite and I would rate it the absolute worst thing I've had since we came aboard. That just goes to show you should take my reviews with a grain of salt ... different strokes for different folks and all that.

I was hoping we'd make the early show tonight, but it's already 9:15 so we head back to the room and change into more comfortable clothes then blog/read a bit before taking the stairs (guilty much?) to the Ivanhoe Theater for the Nightclub Express Show.

The show features two vocalists, a live band as well as a troupe of dancers decked out in Vegas style costumes and a talking sofa. Yeah, that last part was as weird as it sounds, but I have a feeling they put it in for the kids. There was a wide variety of songs to appeal to lots of different people – some I liked, some not so much. One of my favorites was a highly interactive rendition of the Village People's YMCA.

A new fuzzy friend was waiting for us in the room


Alright ...  we have to get up in 6,5 hours so I will end this here. Tomorrow we visit Barbados!


Brunch: Washington Dining Room
Dinner: Lincoln Dining Room

2 comments:

  1. Hello darlings,

    second try, all of a sudden there was no url to comment as. Tried the other one's but that doesn't work.
    The first picture is very strange. It looks like an ad for the perfect housewife!
    Getting tired from doiing nothing is very familiar to me. Maybe it is hereditary.
    Oh, how could you miss the towel animal folding demonstration. I had hoped that you could teach me how to do that!
    You look stunning in that dress! I just cann't believe that your are my daughter. wow.
    The picture of the two of you is beautiful too. I made a copie for grandma. She loved it.
    A towel bulldog. Cann't wait for the next one.
    Love and xxxx,

    Joeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd hate to disappoint! Just for you, I'll make sure to go on another cruise so I can attend the towel folding demo and teach you my new skills ;-)

    ReplyDelete